Saturday, March 3, 2012

God is my teacher

Repetition is supposed to be a good thing.  All my life I have heard this.  In my math class alone, my big case for nightly homework is that the repetition of the problems will advance you.  You will become more skilled. You will be able to be faster at math solving.  There are countless other examples where repetition is needed to succeed or become better at something. 

And yet we still gripe.  Even after we have mastered the two step inequality with our eyes closed. Even when it comes with an ease and we get excited because we know how. And maybe gripe isn't the right word. But I have heard my students say countless times, "This again?! We have already learned this, what is the purpose?"

But they haven't learned it. It looks familiar.  It looks like the same thing.  Positive and negative integers. Done that.  Oh on a number line? No problem. In an inequality? Ms. Gray, please, this is boring. Wait, why is there an extra number? Which inverse operation do I do now? Why is this not a simple one-step inequality??? WHAT IS GOING ON????

And I teach them. I refresh their memory of what we have just learned. I tell them they are ready for the two step problems.  I walk them through it.  We go slow at first.  I step back and let them answer soon enough.  It isn't always the right answer at first.  I might even get frustrated. In my head sometimes I think, "It's right there. I laid it all out for you. It's so simple. Just do it, come on, you can. Find the numbers, see the process."  But I don't. I go over it again. Some get it quickly. They are able to work independently. Some still can't see. Some need different methods of getting the information down pat.  I give all of them repetitive practice for homework.

God is so much more patient with me.  He is so much more endearing.  He is so much more powerful.  I become comfortable. He nudges me. He reminds me of His goodness. He tells me that I am ready to handle more.  He is not done with me. He provides His holy Word to walk me through it. It is painstaking at first.  Almost like a foreign language.  I don't understand completely, but some phrases sound familiar.  He clears room to let me go with my choices.  I don't always choose wisely.  I hold onto bitterness. I show jealousy.  I show contempt.  He loves me and sometimes corrects me back.  Sometimes I get it quickly.  Sometimes, I will be forever surrendering.  Sometimes I try new things.  Sometimes those things are scary.  Sometimes they are humbling.  They are always rewarding. 

God, thank you for being an amazing teacher. Guide me in all that You do.

No comments: