Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Do You Like Green Eggs and Ham?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing. The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. Come my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord." Psalm 34:8-11

I never used to be the one who would jump at the chance to try new types of food.  Once I found something I liked, I stuck to it.  Name a restaurant.  I can tell exactly ONE food from there because I always get the same thing.  My mom used to complain because I refused to eat foods with certain items in them.  Nothing could have peppers, onions, brussel sprouts, anything looking funny or discolored. 

For some reason college opened up my adventure sense in the food department.  I started to like and try EVERYTHING.  Except for brussel sprouts.  It is unnatural.  And you are wrong if you like them.  End of story.  I got to the point where I enjoyed trying new things.  It wasn't a big deal if I didn't like it.  It was simply the adventure of seeing if it was worth it or not.  If college didn't push my boundaries, my trip to Hong Kong definitely did.  I can't even name some of the things we tried.  I do have pictures though...

Everytime I found something good or delicious I had to share it.  I got almost everyone addicted to warm little egg custard pastries at the Hong Kong market and it is a personal pledge to have my loved ones share my love for sushi before I die.  "Here, try it.  It is delicious.  It will change your life for real.  You will never eat the same.  Amazing right?"

Sadly, sometimes I am more interested in my family digging my version of Shrimp Pesto Pasta than of sharing my enthusiastic (or I guess NON-enthusiastic) relationship with Christ.  Because shouldn't I be pushing Christ like the best thing ever???? BECAUSE ISN'T HE????!!!!! Of course He is.  I love this Psalm because it reminds me to be humble before my King.  It reminds me to be reverant and fearful before the Lord Almighty.  But it also reminds me to seek after Him and show Him off with passion.  To run down hallways, streets and any other possible avenue screaming at the top of my lungs: "TASTE AND SEE!!!! He is sooooo good! Just try Him.  Just trust Him!  He will change your life. PROMISE!!!"

No comments: